Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Beginning of the Industry...

The movies... something we take for granted today. With Cineplex Cinema's 4$ tuesday tickets, everyone can see a movie, any movie really, for a cheap price and just for fun. Ask your grandmother about the movie theatres when she was a kid... you're going to hear a whole different kind of story. Way back when, a movie was a big treat, and took a whole lot shorter of a production time. Why? Because the technology and special effects were'nt as big a part of the process as they are today. In the early movies, the acting was the focus of the storyline, not big explosions and all the cool stuff that goes on today.

In the early days, back before grandma's grandma was even alive (1830's) moving images were used for research, such as seeing wether a horse's feet were ever all off the ground at once- which they were'nt, proved by this fabulous new science-or to study human movement. At that time, it was solely for research purposes, which is kind of awesome, considering entertainment remained in plays and dances performed in theatres... movie theatres didn't even exist!

Originally, these research movies were only visible to one person at a time, by looking through a peephole in a dark box, to see the film lit from behind moving quickly upwards. Quite a headache if you ask me... It was only through a projector system that it became available to the public, and people started to call them "the ­moving pictures". From there it was just the moving pictures, as sound wasn't introduced into films until the 1920's.

Ever watched a silent movie? Chances are that the movie you watched was produced before 1920, and reworked into VHS or even DVD... but we'll get there some other time... that's still way too advanced for us moving pictures fanatics.

5 comments:

  1. I found your information to be quite interesting. It's pretty cool to see just how the movie industry has evolved from back then. After reading this, I find that watching a movie in the old days would be considered something extremly fun whereas today it's not as exciting. The reason being that there are so many movies out and we now have the internet to watch them at home. Also I don't think I could watch a silent movie or a movie without a lot of effects because in my case I need to see and hear all the action going on or else I'd get bored. So I guess you could say that I'm really grateful for this evolution, all in all your blog was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be the first to admit that techy stuff is not my forte. I usually pay attention to the acting, the lines, and all that jazz. That being said, I can still appreciate good tech effects in a movie and at least notice the difference between a 1970's movie and one of today. I love going back and watching the old Hercules or Xena shows and laughing at just how...lame... the effects are. I mean, obviously they didn't have the technologie at that time, but it's still a good laugh. Keep up the blog! Who knows...maybe I'll actually learn something about tech!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of movies with good tech effects. Like if it's an action or horror movie, that either makes or breaks the movie for me. However, that doesn't replace a good storyline or good acting. No amount of special effects can carry a movie without good actors. I've never actually watched a silent film but it seems interesting, I'd definitely want to see one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chelsey !
    i found your blog post very interesting. I agree, I love movies, and I'm probably one of those people who watch movies like every other tuesday, laugh out loud!
    Anywho, I believe that special effects in movies are what make most of a movie (other than the acting and other important stuff). I live for that kind of stuff.
    If I was going to watch a silent movie, I'd probably fall asleep...maybe.
    Keep up the good work. !

    ReplyDelete